The entrance to the Department of History’s office in Sidney Smith Hall

Research Opportunities

Some faculty may hire undergraduates as research assistants. Such Work Study positions are usually advertised through the Career Learning Network.

The History Department also participates in two Faculty of Arts and Science (FAS) research programmes that permit students to participate in a regular faculty member’s research for academic credit. One is ROP 299Y, the second-year programme that permits students to work in Toronto as research assistants for 1 FCE. REP 398H/399Y enables third-year students to do fieldwork with an instructor off-site, often outside Canada. Living costs will be covered by the ROP and REP programmes.

Research Opportunity Program (ROP) courses are not offered every year. Additional information for ROP 299 is available on the A&S website. The Research Excursion Programme (REP) 398/399 is administered by the International Programs Office.

Queries about ROP and REP may also be emailed to the Associate Chair Undergraduate

Independent Studies

The History Department offers senior undergraduate students the possibility of study under the course designations: HIS498H1-F/S or HIS499Y1-Y. Independent studies are for students who wish to pursue a detailed research project, usually involving the preparation of a major paper, and must be done under the supervision of an eligible History faculty member.  (Please note that faculty are under no obligation to supervise I.S. projects). Students wishing to enroll in History studies courses must be enrolled in either a History Specialist or Major program, with a B+ average in no less than 4.0 HIS courses, or obtain special permission of the instructor. All HIS498H1 and HIS499Y1 students MUST attend the department’s new senior thesis seminar, which will run on Mondays from 10-12 noon during the 2016-17 academic year.


  • It is not practical to do a study as a full-credit taken in one term (i.e. HIS499Y1-F or 499Y1-S)
  • Students are allowed only 1.0 studies course in History
  • Where research projects can be undertaken within the scope of an existing HIS seminar, students will not normally be allowed to enroll in Independent Studies.

To enroll in an Independent Studies course:

  • Complete the PDF iconHIS498H Registration Form (PDF) or the PDF iconHIS499Y Registration Form (PDF) with the help of your proposed supervisor. Attach a 1-page outline of the project you wish to undertake and a copy of your transcript. Ensure that your supervisor signs the form.
  • Return the ballot to the Department by June 15, 2017, for the Fall-Winter 2017-2018 Academic Year.
  • If approved, your study course will be added to your record on ROSI by the History Department. If it is not approved, we will notify you and your proposed supervisor as soon as possible by email.

For further information, students may contact the Associate Chair Undergraduate.